Moving to Los Angeles (LA) sounds exciting to most of the people because LA is the city of dreams where many have made it. But for every “who has made it” person there are countless “who never made it” people, so you should be cautious when deciding to relocate to this huge city with 4 million people and 498.3 square miles ground area.
Moving to Los Angeles is not difficult as there are many Los Angeles Moving Companies serving the needs of people moving in and out of the city, but before you book any of the Los Angeles Movers to relocate to the city, you should consider the following LA moving tips.
LA Moving Tips
- Do not travel around the city during rush hours, which is 7 to 10 AM and 3 through 7 PM.
- Ask the property owner or the realtor, if there is back-lane access to the building in the urban area for unloading the truck.
- Before moving to LA, accustom yourself with the oddities and idiosyncrasy of the city. Many get baffled by the “living in car” lifestyle of LA, by people wearing open-toed shoes in winter, and by personalized license plates, etc. Hence, first experience the city then decide.
- Visit the city before you move to LA. Do not go just by what you see in TV soaps. It is not always sunny in LA. You will face cold and rainy as well as dry and hot days in the city. LA has a Mediterranean climate.
- As not everyone can make it here, so you should have contingency plan B and plan C in place. No one likes a broke aspirant here. You need to have thick skin to survive here.
- Check the air quality and see if it is breathable for you or not. LA doesn’t suit everyone, and air quality is not very good.
- Visit the city before you move in to see which neighborhood you want to live in. The city is divided into the following neighborhoods: Downtown LA, South (referred as South Central by locals), Crescenta Valleys, The Eastside, San Fernando, Northeast, Harbor Area, Wilshire, The Westside, and Hollywood.
- Properly pack the essential items because finding things in a city where you will not know anyone is going to be difficult.
- Do not move non-essential items with you, it will create unnecessary hassle.
- Keep a GPS device handy. It will help you locate things in the neighborhood.
- Buy a Thomas Guide. It predates GPS, and Google and yahoo Maps. This is essential to find your way through the sprawling landscape of the LA neighborhood.
If on one hand, the city has shopping centers like Hollywood and Highland complex, Robertson Boulevard, Melrose Avenue, the Beverly Center, Rodeo Drive, etc., then on the other hand it also has Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Hammer Museum at the University of California, Los Angeles, the Huntington Library art collection and botanical gardens, the Norton Simon Museum, and the J. Paul Getty Museum, etc.
There are many live entertainment centers and sports center as well. The City of Angeles (as LA is commonly known) offers one thing or other to everyone, thus your decision to moving to Los Angeles’ neighborhood should be governed by the kind of lifestyle you have. All the Los Angeles Moving Companies do have such information handy, and many among them will be quite willingly help you choose the right location in the city, so seek their help.
I hope this LA moving tips will help you a great deal in moving to Los Angeles.